Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Vegetable Beef Soup

When I was growing up, if I ever so much as got a case of the sniffles my grandma would have a pot of soup coming my way. Unfortunately I didn't get the recipe for her vegetable beef soup, but I do have another of her soup recipes and was able to use it to concoct my own veggie beef. I believe I've come quite close in replicating her recipe. Warning - it makes a TON! But it freezes great!

Vegetable Beef Soup

Ingredients:
1 pkg frozen seasoning blend
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 can tomato paste
2 (14 oz) cans stewed sliced tomatoes
2 (15 oz) cans tomato sauce
1 can original Rotel tomatoes
1 can Summer Crisp Corn (DelMonte)
1 can sliced carrots
1 small can peas
1 small can lima beans
2 cans beef broth
1 large cooking spoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 large cooking spoon of Lea & Perrins wine sauce for chicken
2 teaspoons sugar
chopped cabbage
1 large turnip, peeled and chopped
1 red potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 pkg. tender stew meat
salt, black pepper, Tony's Creole seasoning to taste

Method:
In a small pot, add the stew meat and cover with beef broth just till covered. Bring to a boil, then simmer until cooked through.

In a very large pot, make a roux using oil and flour. Oil must be hot before adding flour, stir constantly until the oil/flour mixture turns the color of a brown paper bag. Don't rush it, it's the secret. Add seasoning blend, cook until tender. Add 1/2 can beef broth to dissolve the roux, then add remaining 1/2 can. Once it comes to a boil, add the tomato paste and Rotel tomatoes. Stir well. Add the tomato sauce, stir well. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the broth that the stew meat was simmering in. Cover and simmer on med-low for 45 minutes. Check and adjust seasonings, if needed. Extra beef broth or water can be added if needed.


Vegetable Beef Soup Ingredients


The Soup

Verdict: Fantabulous! While this soup does make enough to feed an army, it's so delicious you will want to eat it for days. Once you get tired of it, put it into quart sized ziplocs, label and freeze. Defrost for a quick dinner on a cold night or when you don't feel well. It has magical healing powers ;)

2 comments:

  1. this looks super duper tastey. VERY similar to my moms veggie beef soup. I think i will steal it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's very ggod! (but since I HATE Lima beans I had to omit them). My son who is supposedly "lining on his own" thanks you! ( he often helps relive me of "extra" food)

    ReplyDelete