Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Creamed Chicken over Biscuits

This recipes is courtesy of the Cooking Light 15-Minute Cookbook. In August I had some pretty serious heart problems after giving birth to my baby girl, Elise. As a result, I had to watch my diet pretty close and I used recipes from this cookbook often. Everything I've ever cooked out of it was delicious! I told my husband that we needed to go back to using it for our meals so we can stay on the right track, and asked him to pick a recipe and I would fix it. This is what he chose.

Creamed Chicken over Biscuits

Ingredients:
1 can flaky buttermilk biscuits
Cooking Spray
1 (9-ounce) pkg frozen diced cooked chicken breast
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 (10-ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed and drained
1 (10 3/4) can condensed cream of roasted chicken with savory herbs soup, undiluted (such as Campbell's Healthy Request)
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Method:
Bake biscuits according to package directions, set aside and keep warm.

While biscuits bake, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken and garlic; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in vegetables and remaining 4 ingredients; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender and thoroughly heated, stirring often.

To serve: Split biscuit in half, place on serving plate. Spoon chicken mixture evenly over biscuits.

Only 254 calories per serving!

Notes: Since I couldn't find the chicken soup it calls for, I used regular cream of chicken soup and some dry herbs. Also, I didn't have cooked chicken so I used one raw chicken breast, added a little creole seasoning and cooked it in 1/2 tablespoon butter. I also added 1/4 cup chopped onions, then the garlic and followed the recipe after that!


Creamed Chicken over Biscuits Ingredients


The finished product

The Verdict: We both LOVED this. I truly didn't think I would like it. I was wrong. And my husband ate IT ALL. There are no leftovers! It was so easy to make, very inexpensive (buy a good but inexpensive wine - Redwood Creek is only like $6). We will definitely be making this again in the near future!

1 comment:

  1. This looks do good. Reminds me of a pot pie(without the pot?). I will have to try it out. Thanks again for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete