Sunday, June 14, 2009

Maw Maw Doris' Famous Banana Pudding

Probably don't need to even write a verdict with a title like that, do I?? Well I decided that the perfect dessert to follow the wonderful Spicy Chicken Wraps would be a cold, sweet banana pudding. I originally planned to follow the recipe from friend Scrumptiously Sassy but then remembered that I have my grandma's recipe for her banana pudding. My grandma passed away on Thanksgiving Day of 2008 after a long battle with alzheimer's and I miss her so much. She was the most amazing cook and I would have loved to be able to have her taste some things I cook! Unfortunately I didn't have all the ingredients, but I'll give her recipe anyway because it's awesome!

Maw Maw Doris' Banana Pudding

Ingredients:

1 French Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
1 Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
1 Banana Instant Pudding Mix
1 tub whipped topping
4 oz. sour cream
nilla wafer cookies
8 bananas
5 cups milk

Method:

In a large bowl, mix the 3 pudding mixes, milk, sour cream, and half of whipped topping. Stir until well mixed.

In another large bowl, layer pudding, then sliced bananas and cookies. Continue until you get towards the top of the bowl. Top with remaining half of whipped topping.

Keep refrigerated.



The Verdict: One bite took me back to my childhood and brought tears to my eyes. This sweet treat is one that I will forever associate with my grandma. Unfortunately I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand, I had to make do with two regular vanilla puddings, no sour cream and only 3 bananas. I sliced them very thin so I think it was just as good. I also shared a bowl with my 10 month old daughter who loved it! It means so much to me to be able to share these special things with my baby girl. Try this recipe, you'll love it I promise!

1 comment:

  1. Banana pudding must be a southern thing, MH LOVES it! His grandmother makes it as well with the vanilla wafers and all that. Y'all are crazy about your banana pudding down here ;)

    ReplyDelete