Sunday, June 7, 2009

Jagerschnitzel with Bacon-Mushroom gravy and homemade Spaetzle

Do you ever get into a food "rut" and end up cooking the same things over and over? That's why you haven't seen any new posts here in a week or so, we haven't made anything new. So the other day I watched The Food Network to get some inspiration. Guy Fieri made a German meal on his show Guy's Big Bite that had my mouth watering! Normally when I think German food, I think sausage and beer! I am not a fan of sausage, but what he made was Jagerschnitzel with a bacon-mushroom gravy and homemade spaetzle, which is a pasta. I was concerned when I saw "Jagerschnitzel" because my mind immediately went to Jagermeister. The alcohol. Which tastes like cough syrup. NO thanks! I looked up the recipe and found that was not in the ingredients so I decided to give this a try, but tweaked it to fit what I had on hand and my own tastes (I'm a southern girl, I like seasoning!! And paprika is NOT what Southerners consider seasoning!!).

Jagerschnitzel with Bacon-Mushroom gravy

Ingredients:

Pork chops, flattened/tenderized with the fat cut off
Seasonings to taste: I used Tony's, salt, garlic powder, onion powder and smoked paprika)
1 cup crackers, crumbled into fine crumbs
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tsp. mustard
1 cup flour
1/2 lb. bacon
2 small cans mushroom pieces and stems, drained
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
2 cups beef stock
1/4 cup red wine
2 TBSP butter
Olive Oil for frying

Method:

In a shallow medium bowl, mix together 3/4 cup flour with preferred seasonings. In another shallow medium bowl, combine egg, milk and mustard. In another medium shallow bowl, combine cracker and panko crumbs. Dredge pork slices first in flour, then in egg wash, and finally in crumbs. Let set on a baking sheet fitted with a cooling rack for 5 minutes.

In a medium saute pan over medium heat cook the bacon until crispy. Remove from pan to drain on paper towels. In same pan with bacon fat, add onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add mushrooms and continue sauteing for 2 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup flour. Cook flour to make roux until light brown, about 2 minutes. Add wine and cook for 3 minutes, reducing by 1/3, then add stock. Continue cooking to reduce by 1/3 again. Add crumbled bacon. Season with desired seasonings. Keep warm.

Heat 1/4-inch oil in thick saute pan or cast iron skillet. Cook pork evenly on both sides, about 5 minutes for the first side, 3 to 4 minutes for the second. Remove to platter when done. Add butter to sauce, stirring until it has melted. To serve, cover pork with sauce.

Spaetzle

Ingredients:

1/2 cup cold water
1 3/4 cups flour, plus extra for kneading
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
3 quarts chicken broth
3 tablespoons butter
3 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Special equipment: pizza wheel

Method:

In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, water, eggs and salt with a wooden spoon. Place dough mixture on a clean cutting board dusted with flour. Flour both sides of the dough and roll into a long rectangle, approximately 12 by 2-inches and 1/8-inch thick. With pizza cutter, cut into strips, 2-inches in length and 1/4-inch wide.

Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large saucepan. Fill a large bowl with ice water. Drop spaetzle in batches into boiling stock and cook until pasta floats to the surface. Remove pasta to the ice bath. Drain spaetzle and hold on sheet pan. Continue with the other batches.

In a medium saute pan, add butter, and melt over medium heat until butter turns a light brown. Add garlic and cook until it becomes lightly colored. Add spaetzle to the pan to heat through. Add parsley, cheese, salt and pepper, to taste.


My spaetzle dough, ready to be rolled out with my great great aunts rolling pin!


Dough rolled out and cut


My meal, ready to eat!

The Verdict: I actually have mixed feelings on this review. The food was absolutely delicious, though I'm really not a fan of al-dente pasta. I like soft fluffy pasta that's fully cooked. It was all great, my husband said it was the best pork chop he had ever had. And the spaetzle had a GREAT flavor, just like I said I'm not a big al-dente' fan. Next time I'd probably just cook the pasta fully. Definitely a keeper though!

1 comment:

  1. This looks good. Have you ever tried it using a spaetzle maker?

    Uncle Tom, aka Mr Lesley, not Lesley

    ReplyDelete