Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chicken Stew

My husband loves good home-style cooking. I call it food people on farms eat. Things like chicken stew just seem like something hearty and homey that a farmer would come in and eat after a long day on the tractor or something! I'm silly, I know. Anyway, I've been making this recipe that I created for a few years now and I think it's pretty tasty. I served it with the Bacon-Carmelized Onion Asparagus and there were almost no leftovers!

Chicken Stew

Ingredients:

2 chicken breasts, cut into small pieces and seasoned to taste
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
Seasonings to taste (I used Tony's, Salt, Garlic Powder and Onion Powder)
1 can chicken broth
1 small can mushroom stems and pieces
rice

Method:

In a deep, non-stick pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and stir constantly until a golden brown (this is called a roux). Add pieces of chicken and combine well with the roux. When chicken is no longer pink, add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add the mushroom stems and pieces, including the liquid and the chicken broth. This will break up your roux and turn it into a nice gravy. Let simmer for a few minutes, then season to your tastes. Kitchen Bouquet can be added sparingly to achieve the brown color you desire. Serve over rice.


The Ingredients (minus the chicken)


Stew is simmering


Ready to eat!

Verdict: I think this is a pretty darned good chicken stew recipe, if I do say so myself! We also serve it with peas often. Anyone that loves rice and gravy will love this, two thumbs up!

1 comment:

  1. This makes me hungry for home! It really is farm food b/c my mom cooks it all the time and I grew up on a farm!

    Something that I add when I cook mine is dumplings. Just mix some Bisquick and milk, drop them on top of the gravy and cover until they are light and fluffy.

    You will think you have died and gone to heaven!

    ReplyDelete