Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Going Greens!

All good Southern girls love greens. Spinach, mustard greens, turnip greens, swiss chard, it's all good! My daddy is the best at this stuff but I decided to try it today so I called and asked him how to cook them and here's how it came out!

Gerry’s Mustard Greens

2 grocery sacks full of mustard greens
1 Ham Steak (with bone)
1 onion, chopped
3 Tblsp. oil
Salt to taste

Preparation: Remove stems from greens. Soak greens in one side of sink covered in water. When they are clean, pick them out by hand, allowing water to drain off, then place them in other side of sink. Drain dirty water from other sink, clean, then refill with water. Place greens back into water and wash again. When clean, drain sink again.

Meanwhile, put oil into large pot, place onions into oil and simmer till softened. Place ham steak in a skillet and sear on both sides till browned. Cut into cubes, leaving meat around the bone. Place ham into large pot with onions.

Now, with the large pot on a #7 setting, place a double-handful of greens into pot. Sprinkle a little salt over greens. After greens wilt down, stir them into the onions and meat. Add another double-handful of greens and do the same each time, till all the greens are cooked.
Note: I only add salt to every other handful of greens as I put them into the pot.


This is less than half of what I bought - I bought 8 bushels in all. This was 3.


This was the ham steak I used. Sorry, I had already put a few pieces in the pot!


Greens in the pot - before I realized I was supposed to put a little in at a time!


Greens cooking!

Verdict: Delightfully Delicious! My dad knows what he's doing with veggies. James had some when he came home from work and he loved them, so this is a keeper recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment